Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Blog Post #8

Find some 21st Century Learning and Communicating Tools? Tell us about 
them. Tell us where we can find them. Give a thorough review of at least one of 
them.

After doing research, watching videos, getting other teachers opinions, I have come to the solution of using "Flipping the Classroom" with my future class. I am a Biology and Secondary Education major; therefore, I will be teaching high school science. I know, in all reality, not everyone is like myself and loves science and biology. By understanding this, I know that students who are not interested in the subject will not be interested in listening and taking notes from lectures. A huge part of Biology and any science is understanding definitions and what things mean/are. If I can flip the classroom to where they can do the lecture part of the lesson at home and take notes, then, while in class, do homework-like experiments and hands on learning, I think I will be able to grab more students attention. I would use this tool of "Flipping the Classroom" with the help of YouTube and Google docs. YouTube is a great source of entertainment and also learning. I would create a video for lessons and upload it to YouTube so that students (while at home) can watch and take notes as their lecture. Why this is useful, is not only taking away lecture in classroom for my time for project-based learning, but also so that they students may go back and re-watch the videos in case they needed too. Parents and also administrators would be able to view the videos and see what goes on inside of my classroom. By taking away lecture while in class, it opens up so much more time for hands-on projects that will help the students learn more efficiently. Katie Gimbar explains "Flipping the Classroom" in more detail and also with her own personal examples of how she uses this technique. She accepts questions from parents, other teachers, and administrators, and answers them with a YouTube video that is uploaded to her account for everyone to see. I highly suggest checking out her videos. Here is the link that will lead you to her videos. 
The Flipped Classroom



1 comment:

  1. Well, some is plural so i expected more than one suggestion. And we cover flipping the classroom elsewhere. Your post, however, is well written and persuasive. I may even use it as part of an assignment next semester.

    ReplyDelete