Sunday, March 2, 2014

Blog Post #7

What can we learn about teaching and learning from Randy Pausch?


The above question was the leading discussion question for this weeks blog assignment. We were to watch Randy Pausch's Last Lecture. In the beginning of the video, he explains why he titled his speech with "...Last Lecture". Randy Pausch states that he has a cancerous tumor but will not be defeated by this terrible incident. I had to watch the video twice to gather my information about what I would talk about. The first time I watched this video, I did not think that there was any solid information for future teachers learn about teaching and learning but instead he was talking about life in general. After watching the video the second time, I began to understand more about what he was talking about. Two quotes that stuck out to me tremendously was, "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted," and "Be prepared because "luck" is where preparation meets opportunity." He also talked about showing gratitude, to not complain and just work harder, be good at something, in which, will make you valuable, get feedback and listen to it, and brick walls shows us our dedication. At the end of his lecture he states that everything he talked about was for his children. He wanted to leave some advice behind for them just in case he could not defeat his worst enemy. I love that he used his lecture to do that for his family, but the more I listened to it, I realized it actually did relate to help future teachers. Teachers are to instill these characteristics in their students to be successful in life. In one week, teachers will spend 35 hours with their students. That is plenty of enough time to build students character. I hope when I begin to teach I will be able to instill character, morals, and dedication in my students because that is what its really all about. 

3 comments:

  1. Sheridan, the quote "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted" stuck out to me also. I found it interesting that you did not find any information for future teachers the first time you watched the video. The advice Randy gave was things that you had to think about in your own perspective. I used when he talked about self-reflecting his own students in my blog post because I hope I will be able to make my students self-reflect when I have my own classroom. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I watched the video I thought it was more of life lessons, as in, a general lecture reflecting on how one should live their daily lives. After watching the video the second time, I was able to better translate the information into a teachers role. We as future teachers are not the students parents. It is not our role to be their parent. I was listening to the video from a future parents perspective. I had to watch it again to translate my future parent perspective into a teachers perspective so that I may teach my students how to be successful future citizens without the parenting role.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was he more of a coach or a teacher? Did he use PBL? How were his classes different from the ones you have taken? Although you watched a lecture do you think that lectures played a significant part in his teaching?

    ReplyDelete