Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Blog Post #3

Punctuation saves lives!
For my third blog post, the assignment is to describe what I have learned about peer editing. In class, we went over our rubrics that we created within our personal groups. I thoroughly enjoyed being able to view other groups rubrics to get new ideas to incorporate for my future classes. Some of the unique characteristics that groups included in their rubric for grading blog posts are that of: text layout, timeliness, preparedness, and position of student. Of course grading of criteria, grammar, media, HTML, plagiarism, etc. were incorporated in most of the groups work, but it was the above four that were different that seemed appropriate and essential to this class.

Peer editing means to work with someone your own age to help improve, revise, and edit their work/writing. In the video, What Is Peer Editing, they define using peer editing into 3 simple steps: compliments, suggestions, and corrections. 1) Always begin your feedback with a compliment! It is important to let your peer know the good things about their work and to STAY POSITIVE. 2) Suggestions are appropriate for: word choice, details, organization, sentences, and topic (and remember to STAY POSITIVE). 3) Corrections. Always check for punctuation, sentence structure, grammar, and spelling (and again, STAY POSITIVE). An important reminder that they ended with is to be specific and always complete all the 3 steps!

Another video that is adorable, appropriate, and straight to the point about peer editing is Writing Peer Review (Peer Critique) TOP 10 Mistakes. The children who created this video was able to explain and demonstrate the wrong ways to approach peer editing. They give very clear and simple mistakes on what to do while practicing this useful tool. I believe from watching these two videos it has helped me see a clear understanding on what to do and not to do!

A question that I have been asked to think about is whether or not I believe in critiquing peer editing through comments on personal blog post or through private email. I believe it depends on the situation. If a blog post has no use of correct word choice, use of details, organization, correct sentence structure, or correct topic use (and it is a complete disaster) I would use private email to edit one of my peers post. If they do demonstrate these things correctly, with minor changes needed, I believe a comment would be sufficient.

2 comments:

  1. Sheridan,
    I completely agree with you on the critiquing peer editing. I, like you, believe that different actions should be taken in different situations. These are very valid points that I had not previously thought of.

    ReplyDelete